Beloved Portland-born ice creamery Salt & Straw is set to debut this year’s student inventor series on Friday, April 6 with five new limited-addition flavors being added to the menu. Tyler Malek, co-founder and head ice cream maker for Salt & Straw, worked with students at area elementary schools to help craft the flavor profiles for each treat in an effort to concoct the ice cream of their dreams. As a thanks to the students for their creativity, Salt & Straw will donate a portion of the proceeds from the newly invented flavors to aid their schools, all of which are located near a Salt & Straw ice cream shop.
- Larchmont Charter’s Maple Peanut Butter Brioche French Toast — a swirl of maple peanut butter ice cream with chunks of cinnamon French toast.
- Westminster Elementary’s Mango Chamoy Sorbet — a spicy-sweet treat of mango sorbet and a house-made chamoy sauce featuring fresh mango, chili powder and lemon juice.
- Carpenter Community Charter’s Mint and Chips — an unexpected combination of spearmint pineapple ice cream, pineapple jam and chocolate covered tortilla chips.
- Inner City Arts’ Rainbow Unicorn Galaxy Swirl — a vibrant, otherworldly mix of cotton candy ice cream, chocolate, lollipops, strawberries and grapes.
- West Hollywood Elementary’s Coke Float Carmel Volcano — an explosion of flavor featuring vanilla-cola ice cream and caramel.
Each of the five new student-invented flavors will be available at all Salt & Straw shops in the Los Angeles area, including Arts District, Larchmont, Studio City, Venice and West Hollywood, through April 30.
Salt & Straw | 829 E. 3rd St. | Los Angeles, CA 90013